Sunday, October 28, 2012

College Days


This weekend I went back to Njalla to take Solomon to college and bring back a full carload of Jesi’s research supplies. The drive is pretty nice as the road is smooth all except for the last 7 miles of terrible road that leads to the college campus; it is like a stress test that new vehicles have to go through…The road which should be straight leading from Freetown to Njala and Bo should be for all economical reasons, but no not this one. For all intensive political reasons this roads winds and turns every mile reaching out to every village along the way. You may see this a good thing to cross every village, but it seems to me that all the cars just go through them at 70mph blowing all of their rice off the road. You see the village people put rice on the side of the road to dry after harvesting.

Anyways on to college, Solo and I pulled into campus and gave Oxford a call to see where he was so we could meet up and met him by one of the dorms and here he came running down the road to greet us. He was very happy to see me and Solomon and as we were catching up I noticed everyone who walked by greeting Oxford and saluting him saying hello sir. You see he is actually the biggest man on campus! He took his work out weights with him and has started a work out group in the mornings and everyone on his block tries to work out with him. So Oxford is living life and having a good time, this week while going to his agriculture class the teacher called him out of the group of students and pointed out his Excellency in dressing and preparation for farm class, so much so he called other professors over to see his gear and his Oklahoma Cowboy boots! The professor then gave him 5000Le for dressing properly and took him in his car and showed him around the agriculture projects, helped him with his chemistry and gave him some advice to succeed on campus. He is the man on Campus.

After meeting with him we called Precious and had her come with us to hang out at Jesi’s house. Precious left after a short while to go to class and cook Jesi and I dinner, and she did and it was the best groundnut stew I have had since I have been here, she and her roommates can cook! We were scheduled next to go the freshman dance, but here in Africa dances don’t start till 11 and people don’t show up till 1 or 2 for the real party. We set our alarms to go, but when I woke up it was pouring rain and decided to just call it a night. Because of the rain the dance really didn’t happen since everyone would get soaked going to it.
Solomon working hard on the pineapple farm
That morning I saw Oxford running by the window at 7:30am with a 4 egg omelet in hand for me to eat for breakfast! The omelet was good, real good and I ate it with some sweet bread. You see over the past couple months I would usually make me and Oxford breakfast and coffee each morning so this morning was payback. After breakfast we packed up all of Jesi’s research supplies and I had to head back for Waterloo because the Vet was coming with vaccinations for the chickens. But first I went over and wished Solomon good luck at school and adjusting to a new life. “Goodbyes for now” are tough for Solomon and when we have left in the past he will just disappear when our teams leave. I gave him a hug and went to get in the car and he met me on the passenger side to tell me thank you again for bringing him and his things to the campus for him and helping him raise the funds for school, I told him he was welcome and he quickly said I love you and closed the door. These young students are the future of this country and will be the ones who make it a better place. Please be praying for all of our students from wellington as they begin their new lives at school here. 

1 comment:

  1. GOODBYES are hard for the person leaving, But its always hardest for the ones left behind. We are praying for you all and especially for you for the work you are doing and the help you are providing.

    ReplyDelete