Saturday, September 22, 2012

Well it began four months ago and now, it is finished.


Let me tell you where it all began.

It was a hot Wednesday afternoon in Stillwater at about 3:30pm as I was walking down the sidewalk on my way to pay some bills when I got a call from a fellow in Tulsa who was calling to confirm that he had what I needed. The price was a little high, but it was what I needed. 7000lbs of steel shaped like a rectangle with doors on one end and about 40ft in length, “I’ll Take it” I said and we went over the terms of delivery.
Four months have passed now since that container showed up at dads shop to be loaded and packed full of my future and about three months since it left that shop, and about a month since it was supposed to be at my compound in Sierra Leone…

Well after all the delays I headed to the port on Thursday to pick it up pretty early in the morning because I wanted get a good start so there would be plenty of time to unpack the car in the Key and have it out to my site before dark. We made it to the key to find that well the container had not been scanned yet at 11am and by 2 it would be ready for us, we waited at wellington until 4pm and decided today wasn’t the day and on the way down the hill we snapped a tie rod in Johns car…So after we decided it would take time to find the parts they needed we headed back using public transport instead.

That brings us to yesterday when we were actually supposed to get the container. Same story we headed to the port early, ended up in traffic for over an hour and made it to the port at  11:30am. John came with us, us being Jesi, Oxford, David and Titus, and we found the container opened it up and well……everything was just as I left it three months ago when I closed it up. We unpacked the car and had it closed up by 12:30pm and the waiting began for the paperwork on the car and container were finished up, which happened at about 7pm and we left the port in my Landrover! With me driving back through Freetown after dark in the rain…Driving here is just a little bit different.

Oxford stayed with the container and the truck which broke down in the line to leave at about 9pm and he ended up getting here at about 1am and we decided beforehand to unload it at first light. So this morning the container actually made it inside the compound and we had it unpacked, unloaded, offloaded, reloaded, done. It was finished.

So I am waiting on my Sierra Leone plates that I will get Monday and then me, Oxford, and Jesi are heading to Njalla to take Jesi and all of her belongings back that she has bought in Freetown in the past couple weeks for her projects.




I am heading up to Wellington in the morning for a special church service where all of the kids will be performing for us, and then I am going to the beach.

1 comment: